“And above all,
watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you,
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl





Saturday, October 19, 2013

Broomsticks on the Bayou

Welcome witches!
welcome to,

I'm very happy you are able to join us.

First we gather here to pay respects
to the great Marie Laveau





Leave an offering
or light a candle..



I hope everyone brought their brooms
we need to fly to our destination!



An abandoned mansion will be perfect for a party
Ignore the alligators and other...creatures.
Just come right in.



We prepared some treats for you all.
I don't know about you
but making beignets wasn't going to 
happen for me...so
Helena and I made the short-cut version.
you need some buttermilk biscuits that
come in the little refrigerated can.
powdered sugar
vegetable oil about 4 cups
you can use a deep fryer
or a regular saucepan

heat the oil 
open the container of the biscuits
(I have an unnatural fear of these dumb things, lol)
drop a raw biscuit carefully into the hot oil

 

they brown up fast, about 30 seconds or so...


when it's done,
  put it on a paper towel lined plate.
Add powdered sugar to the tops.


They are amazing!
We couldn't stop eating them...
Don't worry, I saved some for you.

We also made edible voodoo dolls.
sugar cookie dough can be molded
into little figures.
Then decorated with cookie icing.
Or you can use some
leftover biscuits:)
 

They are very tasty!


Now let's make some drinks!
Since I don't drink very much I thought
 a mocktail would be nice.
You need these ingredients for
 a non-alcoholic 
 Hurricane
2 oz orange juice 
2 oz cranberry juice
 1 oz grapefruit juice
 1 oz apple juice
 crushed ice
 orange, lemon or lime slice
 
 


Now what fun would our party be if there wasn't 
spells and magic flying around?
 You can go here 
to find some simple spells.
 
Have you had your palm read yet?
 

 or made a voodoo doll?
I have the directions here.


This is a new one.
Can't have too many you know.






maybe you want to make yourself a gris gris bag!



there's a really neat website that shows
you how, just click here.



I made a voodoo queen crown!




and some goodies to give away...
a masquerade mask 


and some little voodoo dolls for your very own!



Now let's go outside and admire
the gorgeous hunter's moon for a while.


I can't tell you how much I appreciate
you coming along on this little adventure.
Thank you to Anna from Frosted Petunias
for indulging me.

Leave me a comment and your party link
to have a chance of winning a prize..
remember,
if you didn't have a party
it's ok
your name still goes into a hat.

Okay... now it's time for dancing!!
let's go back inside.

 

28 comments:

  1. Oh my, this is all so cool but my fav has to be the edible Voodoo doll!! lol at the fear of biscuit cans.;) Love your post and thanks so much for hosting! Here is mine....http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com/2013/10/broomsticks-on-bayouthe-psychic-is-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alligators, fried yumminess, a little Hurricane to wash it down, a crown to feel royally awesome, a Voodoo doll (or two) to enjoy it all? My goodness, Marfi, how do you do it? Now I'm starving! I haven't had truly Cajun beignets since... hm, the last time I went to the Maritimes--yes, Canada, the last time I went to New Orleans, the city wasn't at her best ;-( But you've painted her so pretty. And I so will make your recipe. Thanks for sharing. Here is my Summer's Hollow on the Bayou: http://pagan-culture.blogspot.com/2013/10/summers-hollow-on-bayou.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice invitation, Marfi!!! I am hungry now.Can you believe that I just collected all my strength to join the party, as I was unwell for more than a week. But here I am, with Queens' Broomsticks on the Bayou entry: http://switchtowitch.blogspot.in/2013/10/queens-broomsticks-on-bayou.html Hope you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! And great recipes too. Here is my link to our little travel to -
    http://therealwitchygodmother.blogspot.ca/2013/10/broomsticks-on-bayou-blog-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Thank you so much for hosting this fabulous party!! I'll be making hurricanes tonight :0) Here is a link to my party: http://beneaththewitchesmoon.blogspot.com/2013/10/broomsticks-on-bayou-blog-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Party!!! Thanks for hosting! Love your voodoo dolls, and something new the bags? never heard of these will check them out!
    here is my party link,: http://plumfieldhousegardens.blogspot.com/2013/10/broomsticks-on-bayou-at-plumfield.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to start this party weekend!
    I may have to venture into the kitchen as well.
    I did have some gators to share, but the camera is still bewitched, so what I have to offer is music.
    http://lovevisiting.blogspot.com/2013/10/broomsticks-on-bayou-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those skull dolls with feathers are the cutest things! And is that a waltz they are playing for dancers? Oh my goodness, they are playing "Grand Mamou!"

    I would love to share my memories of New Orleans at The Gratitude Journal of Ms. Lilypads

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun!!! It makes me want even more to visit New Orleans one day. I am still having trouble loading pictures on my computer so I'm not sure when I will be able to post.....very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so cute, Marfi. Thank you for all the ideas and tutorials. I really want to make a voodoo doll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am I late? We've been messing around with a special project for this wonderful party, and it took longer than expected to get everything to work...
    Those "false" beignets look absolutely mouth-watering! And yes, that full moon has just been amazing this month. It was giant and orange when I was driving home last night.
    I love your Dia de Los Muertos mask, and those little skull voodoos!

    Happy weekend and thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I forgot my party link!
    http://msmisantropia.blogspot.se/2013/10/broomsticks-on-bayou.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it all my dear! The beignets didn't happen for me either but perhaps I can do them for the HH. That mask is even more gorgeous the second time I saw it. Thank you for sitting me on my broomstick and convincing me to to take a trip to the bayou. Of course I can never say no to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is all so fabulous. You really have gone all out for your Bayou on the Broomstick celebration. Hurricanes in the French Quarter are the only way to pass an afternoon watching all the street mimes, statues and jugglers. Listening to jazz float on the humid afternoon air, when a steamboats whistle breaks the mood. I wanna go back to Nawlins like right now. Gotta try your recipes and work on some gris gris bags. But until then.....here is my entry for your wonderful party, thanks again. Oma Linda http://lindaomasoldebaggsnstuftshirts.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-child-becomes-fantoche-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo thanks so much for the beignets! YUM! But I'm afeared of the voodoo dolls....I don't want Marie to put the gris gris on me! So scary! Your party is so much fun, and I think your art is AH-dorable. Thanks so much for hosting!

    Laissez les bon temps roulez!!!
    xo,
    Ricki Jill
    Art @ Home

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun, easy beignet recipe! I thought about making some of those from scratch myself... but... time... just don't have enough sometimes. Thanks for putting together all those bayou inspired pictures and ideas! What a fun theme. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am bit late but here is my contribution:

    http://poeticpostcards.blogspot.com.br/2013/10/connecting.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous, from the beignets (thank you, so tasty) to the dolls and decorations :) I have not been back to the Big Easy since I was married and now want to visit so badly, that you for the visual feast :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sound like you are having a great party Marfi! I like the haunted house for the party!
    Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was really a fun time--thank you for the recipes, fun, and hospitality!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was such a fun post! Those quick beignets had me drooling!
    Must file that away in my special recipes :)

    Thanks for having me!
    Good thing those hurricanes were virgin....or I'd be falling off me broomstick ;P

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Marfi!
    Love the party! This was so much fun :)
    You know I will try all those yummy recipes, and probably a voodoo doll, or Two.
    Thanks for the great party!
    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. awesome just as I expected!
    happy haunting

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Marfi, love the party, so many delicious treats and that mocktail was just scrumptious. So sad life interrupted play this weekend and I could not party along myself but maybe next year.

    Also wanted to let you know you won a runner up prize on my Midnight Margaritas post, please could you email me your address so that I can get it sent out to you this week.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Marfi, I wrote about you and my fortune telling Muffy bear here http://www.pattyantle.com/2013/10/more-halloween-preparations.html
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I have some memories of Hurricane's...I'm hoping the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" applies to New Orleans also.

    Great post, everything looks scrumptious and the voodoo dolls are fabulous.

    Hugs
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow that crown is splendid, I enjoyed the voodoo dolls as well. Great recipes. Sorry I'm late for the party it's been a busy extended weekend over here.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Treats are half the fun! Love your amazing ideas and fun food, too. We don't have any excuse to not be ready for Halloween this year! HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it:)