“And above all,
watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you,
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl





Wednesday, October 2, 2013

October Haunted Humpday!

It's the first Haunted Humpday of October!!!


It's a bit sad and exciting
don't you think?
You look forward to this time of year all year
and it's finally arrived...
and there's fun and parties and treats...
then it slips right by.
That's why I want to make the most 
of it
 & 
s-q-u-e-e-z-e 
the Spooky/Scary/Thrills
out of October.

Now, I have some neat Halloween things to share.
This ghostly guy
is actually a pencil sharpener
whenever I misplace him, I turn out the light
and there he is!


This is another gift I received
the other day..
I wanted to save it for today to show you.
It's a latex baby gargoyle.
I like how it looks like stone.


Found this at the thrift store for a quarter.
it just needs a little paint, 
It's about as big as a grapefruit.


I made this spider fascinator...
Helena was willing to model it for me.

(It will be available in my shop later today)

All of October last year
and most of this summer
I worked at a local haunted house making zombies.
LOL, putting makeup on people
so they look like zombies.
 It's at an old slaughterhouse
that is haunted by
 two children that were
murdered there.
(allegedly)
You can read the story 

This is an example of what I do.


( this might look super gross,
but it's just latex and face paint)


Zombies aren't the only creatures
that roam the attraction..
there's many other 'undead' things there...
It's funny how scared
some of the people get..
Including me, lol

So, speaking of being scared and the undead.....
I got to thinking about all the creepy things that
happen...signs of mortality...
Do you know any?
 a week before my mom 
passed away
she mentioned that she wasn't getting  much sleep
because the owl outside her window
made too much noise..pecking and hooting.
The night she died, the candle I lit for her
sparked,  popped and turned green and blue
all night.
there's lot's of portents of death....
a clock that stops or chimes
between the hours,
large numbers of bees flying into houses.
ravens, owls, large black dogs...
a rooster that crows in the night.



eeek, so creepy...
let's lighten up with a sweet recipe shall we?
This Mexican hot chocolate is amazing!
I can't explain how
delicious this tastes!
The aroma takes me back to 
my childhood.
It's a little bit bitter
but there's cinnamon and sweetness
thrown in.
  Drinking it
immediately makes me feel
 five years old!


It comes in these disks
and you have to melt it in hot milk.


my mom used to put cinnamon sticks in the milk 
so it was especially tasty.

you can have cookies with this or pie..
which is what we made.
 The house smelled awesome 
with this baking and the chocolate simmering.


 This is the recipe we used:


2 pkg.  (8 oz. each) Cream Cheese, softened

1/2 cup  canned pumpkin

1/2 cup  sugar

1/2 tsp.  vanilla

1/2 tsp.  ground cinnamon


Dash  ground cloves


Dash  ground nutmeg

2 eggs

1

Graham cracker Pie Crust (6 oz.)

1 cup  thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping

Pre-heat oven to 350°F.  Beat cream cheese, pumpkin, sugar, vanilla
and spices in large bowl with electric mixer
on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs; beat just until blended.
POUR into crust.
BAKE 40 min. or until center is almost set.
 Cool.
 Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
Top with whipped topping just before serving.



 We used to visit my aunt quite a bit when I was
a child...we'd all go over and sometimes stay the night.
she and her family lived in an old rambling ranch house
in the middle of about 60 acres
 of a pecan orchard and cotton fields.
Being out there was fun, during the day....
at night there was not a speck of light outside..
just hulking mountains of hay bales
and the dark forest of orchards.
weird things happened here all the time...
one of the most memorable was when
evening had arrived,
it being a Saturday, there was no rush to leave..
all the kids were in the TV room
the adults in the kitchen having coffee
all of a sudden there was a scream right at the kitchen window..
I still remember it and I have chills as I type.
It was long, nasty and filled us with horror,
we didn't know what had happened,
it was so close we thought it was coming
from the kitchen!
My dad ran outside...he thought someone was hurt or dying
(no one attempted to accompany him)
there wasn't anybody out there...
 the ride home through the deep trees
and the winding dirt road was torture for me!
I already had a deep seated fear of this house..
staying the night was not fun for me ever.
I'd spend the night with my head under the covers
knowing there was something right in front of me  just waiting
for the blanket to move, so it could pounce.
one of the main reasons i was so afraid
was because at night when everyone would 
go to bed, you could hear loud stomping footfalls
in the living room and hallway...
my aunt said it was the wood floors settling
and creaking..
but I knew, in all my childish knowledge
that it was the sound of an animal in there,
 an animal with hooves,
 up on it's hind legs.
 
okay, the winner of the tea house is Lynnie!
I have a little witch that wants to come stay with
someone...
you know the drill,
leave me a comment
and she could be yours!

hope you enjoyed this extra long welcome October Haunted Humpday!!!

see you!!


17 comments:

  1. Oh how this time of year makes me wish I believed in magic! But to me all those "portents" are just what we humans (want/ need to) read in to them. I actually have a funny story about that:

    My best friend took me out ghost hunting one night. She was always full of stories, that she had heard from someone who heard it from someone, but she also had a penchant for reading spooky things in to everyday occurrences. We went to the old "Hanging Hill" and sat there for several hours. I even drew a big pentagram in the dirt, to "speed" things along.

    The only thing we saw that night was a drunk guy walking past us.
    Afterwards she blamed my "closed mind" and the fact that I wasn't scared shitless and dead silent the whole time, for us not having any supernatural encounters. It was hilarious!

    http://msmisantropia.blogspot.se/2013/10/first-humpday-in-october.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marfi, Happy Haunted Humpday! Wow, what a great post, so much cool stuff!! First, you are so talented as a makeup artist, that is so cool! Love the baby gargoyle, the hot chocolate I have to try, the stories (you always have the best!) and that fascinator is gorgeous!! Here is my post for today, I'm having a little giveaway of a Spooky Skeleton Wand...hope you'll stop by! http://tabithalenox.blogspot.com/2013/10/happy-haunted-humpdayspooky-skeleton.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extra long but extra good! How could I have missed those Nestle discs? Nestle got me addicted to their chocolate as a child. Hershey for the bars but Nestle for the drinks.
    I was out yesterday buying dog food and had to see if our area has any great Halloween items on the shelves yet. They are dragging their feet this year. Really disappointed.
    Your haunted house characters are so much scarier than we have around here too! They would make me scream!

    My humpday post will be late, but please take a look at my updated list of parties and events.
    http://lovevisiting.blogspot.com/2013/10/halloween-season-events.html

    Let me know of others in my comments, please.

    Happy Haunted October Hump Days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Haunted Hump Day Marfi! Loving your humpday post as usual. You're an awesome makeup artist! I have some Halloween Marie's posted to celebrate this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That baby gargoyle and spider fascinator are precious! And tell your friend he should be proud, he looks totally gross LOL

    Your story is going to make me think of hooves on the roof. There is a church with 6 gargoyles at the front just blocks from here.

    Here is my entry for today. I enjoyed writing it's spookiness: http://pagan-culture.blogspot.com/2013/10/wildwoods-cave.html

    P.S. I'm going to make some Abuelita chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness Ms. Marfi, you have given us a plethora of wonderfulness in this post. The house and all the goings on are gonna give me the willies when it gets dark.....gotta share with the grands. Wow, I love your talent in the make up department. Wonderful. Please include me in your giveaway and come to visit me today. http://lindaomasoldebaggsnstuftshirts.blogspot.com/2013/10/haunted-humpday-entry-for-october-twoth.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marfi, thanks for the crystal! I would love to have a little witch inside the house ...besides the ones who live here of course. Abuelita's chocalate is awesome, have you tried atole and champurrado? Bees fly into my kitchen daily, I make sure I help them back outdoors or else they dye in the kitchen window. Happy Haunted Humpday!

    Here's my post http://gypsyspiritrising.blogspot.com/2013/10/haunted-humpday-good-day-sacramento.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous post! Love the spooky goodness, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Haunted Humpday! What a great post today! I loved every word and I may just have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a fabulous post! Lots of spooky deliciousness as always. Love your Halloween finds, the fascinator on the lovely Helena, your spine tingling story, the digi art....all of it! I've never tried the Abuelita chocolate and I see it all the time. Now I'm going to because it sounds yum! Sorry I'm so late today. Happy Haunted Humpday!

    Anna

    http://frostedpetunias.blogspot.com/2013/10/haunted-humpday.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post! All the little finds you have are oh so fun, and the Fascinator is awesome. You are very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY !!! You have some really cool Halloween stuff. I love the baby with the wings...CREEPY!!! I want to see it painted for sure, so let me know when its done. I love your Happy Humpday post !!!
    XXOO Marie Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  13. Creepy creepy .. two stories... crawled inside my brain, and now I will have disturbed sleep...:) Great October party entry! Loved all the scary pics, thanks for making October so spooky :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did someone say there is a little witch that is looking for a new home???? I am pulling out my Halloween stuff this weekend and she would be right at home here with me!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all your spooky stories---and that creepy winged gargoyle baby!
    Here is my contribution to Haunted Humpday, if I'm not too late :)
    http://teasquirrels.blogspot.com/2013/10/antlered-velvet-hat-getting-into.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's so much here, stories, scary makeup, recipe. So fun! As always. Thanks for entertaining me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll have to get some of that Abuelita Chocolate for Maggie! How cool you have to melt it in :)

    MOre spooky tales.....Marfi....brrrrr.....shivers, indeed!!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it:)